Historic Society Properties
The Maheim Historical Society was founded in 1964 and is dedicated to preserving the past for the future. The Society has concentrated on the preservation of some of the landmarks that have characterized the borough of Manheim and surrounding areas, as well as collecting local historical artifacts. The Society is staffed by an all-volunteer group that receives no compensation. The Society relies solely on business partners, contributions and individual member dues to support its programs and maintain its properties.
Heritage Center - Library - Museum
88 S Grant St.
This building houses a museum and research library concentrating on artifacts from the Manheim area. The Manheim weekly newspaper "The Manheim Sentinel" collection is housed here. The building was constructed for the Boy Scouts in 1917 and was dedicated in 1919. In 1924 it became the headquarters for the Pecano Factory and Research Kitchens that flourished until 1938. In 1939 the building was purchased by a local trade union and was used for various civic purposes until 1996. The society utilizes this building as the educational and genealogical research center of Manheim. It is dedicated to preserving local histories of families, businesses and organizations as well as the display of artifacts from the past
Trolley Car - No. 236
Birney Trolley # 236, 210 S Charlotte St In 1990 a derelict Brill Birney safety car trolley was obtained from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. It was one of only a small number of surviving cars of this type. Originally in service in Lancaster, it was lovingly restored by Society members. Weather permitting, the trolley is available for tours and short rides when the station is open.
The Fasig House
Fasig House, 30 E High St. No one knows exactly when the original Fasig House was built but it was certainly representative of the small log houses once so prominent along the streets of Manheim in the late 1700's. In 1974 the acquisition, relocation and reconstruction of the log house from S Charlotte St to E High St was undertaken. It stood for many years as a log structure, but was covered with cedar clapboard in 2004 to protect it from the elements. Today the house is a museum containing Manheim artifacts of the Colonial era. It is open to the public on Sundays from 2-4pm from May through August.
The Manheim Railway Station
Manheim Train Station, 210 S Charlotte St. The station was constructed in 1881 and has been completely renovated and restored, mostly through donations and grants from the Department of Transportation. The "freight room" is now a community room and museum that is available for business, community and group functions for a nominal rental fee. The freight office and men's and women's waiting rooms have been restored to original decor. The facilities are open to the public, free of charge, on Sunday afternoons from 1-4pm from June through September or by appointment. The station continues to be a popular tour for school children who enjoy the history and the trolley ride usually available with the tour.
Town Clock, mini park, corner of E High and S Main Sts. The Town Clock that stands in the mini park originally stood outside Weber's Jewelry Store in Lancaster. It was brought to town by jeweler Harry Flinchbaugh in 1926 and stood on N. Main St. outside his shop. Gilbert Bair, jeweler, inherited the clock after Flinchbaugh retired and the Manheim Historical Society purchased the clock when Bair went out of business. It was moved to the park in 1994 after it had been damaged by a truck accident on N Main St. By manually winding it once a week, it keeps good time and in the future will have its crown replaced.
The Keath House
Keath House, 32 E High St This is one of the oldest log houses in Manheim. The property was sold to Henry Hantz by Henry Wm. Stiegel in 1773. There were many owners of the house over the years and in 1887 the house and blacksmith shop behind it were sold to Peter Keath for the sum of $ 800. It was donated to the Society in 1995 and was moved to E High St that same year. It is a good example of Germanic log construction and will be the next project for renovation
John Kendig Library & Newspaper Collection
The Society has an almost complete bound sets of the local newspaper published from 1841. And ending in 1978. According to State officials this is the only 'complete' collection of Manheim newspapers known to be in existence. John Dunlap Kendig donated books, documents, photographs, negatives, etc., and was instrumental in setting up the library. The newspapers and other local historical documents are available for researchers. (read more)